Monday, January 24, 2011

We Voted, And You Lost: The Bridesmaid Edition

This weekend took me and the 'maids to House of Brides to finally decide on a bridesmaids dress. Before I get down to the nitty gritty, I have to say the best part of the trip was when Stacey told, no, gently screamed "YOU ARE CRAZY" at the receptionist. Because she is crazy. She guards the front of the house like someone is going to attack the President of the United States. I think I may have discussed her in a previous post.

Anyway, I had the girls try on many, many dresses. The process of elimination was fairly swift and quick. If one of the 5 of us didn't love it, we put it back. The exception to that rule of course is if I decide it stays in the running. Now, let me backtrack. I've been telling the girls since day one that I do not care about what they want to wear. I just want them to be comfortable and look good. I know what it's like to try on something and just *know* that it isn't going to make you shine. However, I do have a general idea of what is okay and not okay. I would love it if the girls all wore different, yet coordinating dresses - I was overruled. I would love it if the the girls wore short dresses - they humored me, but were definitely not feeling that direction.

I tried.

I know it is "my day" but I love my girls too much to rule with an iron fist. So, I was overruled. I would post the dress that I wanted them to wear, but it is one of those situations where it looks much better in person. I don't remember the designer we ultimately decided on (it was a very long day) but I did decide that the color would be navy. Navy is not my "wedding color" because I don't really have "wedding colors" (I know you're thinking: "my colors are blush and bashful" - "her colors are pink and pink"). I chose navy because I think the flower colors I chose will really stand out against a dark dress. Plus, everybody looks good in navy because it hides flaws. Much like black.

Anyway, once the stress of that situation was over, I had no choice but to treat myself to a chocolate cake shake from Portillo's. I bet they put a Portillo's next to a House of Brides for people just like me.

3 comments:

  1. LMAO!!! I am prepard to wear whatever you want me to wear.

    Also, that receptionist was F*CKING CRAZY. I should have said more to her but remembered, at the end of the day I am still a lady (at least while dress shopping)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it has been many years, but I also shopped at that very same HOB and they DO guard that place like Fort Freaking Knox! I can't wait to see it and now I neeeeed Portillos! I ♥ Stacey! Love Navy! My Mom wore a Navy dress to my wedding.....maybe I'll borrow it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different dresses!!! This was my dream for you!!!

    ReplyDelete