Monday, January 10, 2011

I Want It Just Like That, Except the Complete Opposite.

The beautiful thing about your own mind, is that you can change it. Often. Over the course of the past year I have visited several websites and blogs, bought a dozen magazines and stalked various people on Facebook who have recently been married or attended a wedding just to get ideas. Everything that I've said I want to do has pretty much changed. While I still love all of the ideas, I love other ideas more. That can be a problem. I like too much. I'm a terrible decision maker. I have boxes of shit at my house that will probably never, ever be used, purchased because I have way too much free time on my hands during certain times of the day (*cough*, work, *cough*). In that moment, I am SO sure that what I'm about to purchase will be a focal point of our wedding. But a couple months later I can never really figure out why I spent the money. I'll have to work on that.

As you know, we are able to decorate our space any way we want but we have to do it ourselves. This posed quite a problem. Initially, I was all for doing everything myself. There is a certain pride I was feeling in being able to say that I did alone.

Enter - Reality.

There is no way I can do all of this by myself. When I did a mental timeline, I realized that should one thing be even 5 minutes off schedule, the day is ruined (dramatic, right?). I just can't take that chance. After a very long, sleepless night, extensive list making and much discussion, Brian and I decided we need a day of coordinator. I met with Elizabeth at Anticipation Events last week and loved her. She has done a wedding at our location before so she is familiar with what she is up against, which makes me happy. She described this service as an insurance policy. This instantly made me feel better. I was experiencing so much anxiety and guilt thinking about my mother or other family members racing around the day of the wedding. They aren't employees! They are guests! They shouldn't have to do these things. So, I realize that hiring a coordinator makes me sound like I'm Ms. Money Bags, throwing a Platinum Wedding but that is not the case. Let's get one thing straight - I planned this mother fucker. Yes, curse words and everything. I pounded the pavement, I made the phone calls, I sent the emails, I mailed deposits, I'm sending out invitations, I'm doing crafts (okay, THAT I am not doing all by myself. Stephanie + a glue gun = not a good look.) So, like Elizabeth said, her services are an insurance policy. And everyone likes insurance, right? 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment